For those who don’t know us, we are a not for profit arts centre who promote the best in arts and culture in the Wigan Borough. With two music venues, a theatre, an art gallery, Victorian Court ...
The Old Courts
For those who don’t know us, we are a not for profit arts centre who promote the best in arts and culture in the Wigan Borough. With two music venues, a theatre, an art gallery, Victorian Court Room, arts space, rehearsal rooms, performance space and flexible space we caterer for everyone’s needs.
We host a variety of events within our many walls as well as private parties and weddings. Events range from intimate music gigs and festivals to theatre and dance shows to workshops and weekly classes to art socials and exhibitions.
Not many people are aware that we are a community interest company and that 100% of our profits go back in to the project, the arts, the community and the up keep and improvement of the facilities. Profits support arts and wellbeing activities including: drama classes, School of Rock, Over 50s Jamming Sessions, music therapy, crochet and felt workshops as well as supporting creative business and individuals who want training and work experience and developing arts and culture across the borough.
We believe we can make a big difference to Wigan and the local arts scene. We really want to engage with likeminded people who want to get involved in The Old Courts so if you have an idea or thoughts on our facilities and activities please get in touch.
Since we opened our doors to the public in October 2014 we’ve grown and flourished and are now attracting worldwide performers and artists as well as collaborating with renowned institutions such as Battersea Arts Centre and Central St Martins. To list these centres of artistic excellence as partners really is a milestone in our progress to date, long may it continue!
If you’ve never been to The Old Courts, we would love to meet you, we’re a friendly bunch and so are our customers. In fact, one thing which we are particularly proud of is the diversity of our guests – we’ve had babies to 96 year olds from all different backgrounds attend events here so one thing we are sure of is that you will fit in here and have a good time.
Find us at...
- The Old Courts
- Crawford St
- WN1 1NA
At the Old Courts staff want more than anything for everyone to be able to access the building. We will try our hardest to make this happen for you. As a small organisation in a large, old 4 storey Victorian building this can be challenging.
What we have:
- A wheelchair ramp to access the building via the Bailiff’s Bar entrance 1 on King St. West. This ramp makes it suitable for wheelchair users to access the stage for any events with open mic. It’s best to let us know before the start of the night if you wish to access the stage and we will set up the room accordingly.
- A Supatrak suitable for standard sized wheelchairs- maximum width 700mm- maximum weight 120kg. This climbs stairs to make every floor of the building accessible. This can only be used by one wheelchair at a time and is operated by a member of staff. Please book to ensure trained members of staff are on shift.
What we can do:
- We offer disabled people the opportunity to book some time to try the ramp and/ or Supatrak during a quiet time and visit all areas of the building so you can decide how comfortable this will be for you during your visit.
- We are building an accessible toilet in the Bailiff’s Bar (Level 0) during summer 2017. The male toilet near the Theatre, Isherwood Gallery and Victorian Court Room (Level 2) is accessible. Some wheelchair users have found the other toilets in the building suitable according to their personal needs.
What we need:
- Your feedback. Please visit us and tell us your access needs so we can continue to try and access funds to fully update the building and our events so they are welcoming for everyone.